What is Wikipedia and how to create an account?
If someone wants to find information on the Internet, then he must go to Wikipedia once. Because you search for anything in any search engine, then you will get to see the links of Wikipedia. Now the question arises what Wikipedia is and how to use it.
There are many such wikis on the whole Internet, but the most popular among them is Wikipedia. This is a very large Online Encyclopedia.
There are more than crores of articles in it, and along with it, thousands more are added daily. It is so popular that even the experts have given it a place in the world’s top 100 websites.
Despite such a large online free source like Wikipedia, if people do not use it, it won’t be very easy.
Today I thought, why you people know what Wikipedia is and how to make full information about how to create an account, so that you will get to know about it. Then let’s start without delay.
What is Wikipedia
What is Wikipedia?
Wikipedia is a free, open content online encyclopedia that has been created with the concerted efforts of many users.
So what is such a community user called?
The answer is — Wikipedia’s. These are the people who take their time and prepare the content according to their expertise. Also, if there is a need for improvement in an article, these people also do it.
Wikipedia is not the work of any person, but people from all corners of the world are connected to it and include their knowledge.
If any person is registered on this site, he can also create an article and publish it. This site’s name comes from a server program called Wiki, which enables anyone to edit web site content from their web browser.
Many people are constantly trying to improve how Wikipedia can be improved, for which they are constantly changing the articles. All these changes are recorded in article histories and recent changes.
Why is Wikipedia so popular?
The main reason why Wikipedia is so popular is that it is very easy to use it, while its core is also very simple. Saying simplicity means that it is very easy to use it as email or blogs. Like these, wikis also work in a very simple and accessible way. A wiki allows people to come to its edit section while making the necessary changes according to their expertise.
But these changes will be published in the site only when a moderator checks their authenticity and allows them. Is that all? It is so much easier to read, edit and publish; everyone wants to use it. At the same time, if you want, you can add any new thing you should be thinking about.
Who is the founder of Wikipedia?
Wikipedia was launched on January 15, 2001. Its founders are Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger. It was Sanger who named it.
What is the meaning of Wikipedia?
The wiki was first introduced as a lexicon by a computer programmer, his name was Ward Cunningham, which is from 1995.
This was done when he created a collaborative software called WikiWikiWeb. Wiki is a Hawaiian word meaning “fast; quick.” wiki means “a website that allows anyone to add, delete or revise any content using a web browser.”
How does Wikipedia work?
If you want to understand how Wikipedia works, then you have to understand how its community works. At the core of Wikipedia is its community.
Nearly millions of people visit Wikipedia every month, and together they form the community of Wikipedia.
All those people who visit the Wikipedia site play a character of their own. For example,
- Most people who visit Wikipedia are readers. They especially come to read articles on Wikipedia.
- Some people who come to Wikipedia become writers here. They either make necessary changes in the article or write a new article which is not already in Wikipedia.
- That’s where some people become editors. If they see any error appearing in a page, only then they correct it. If there can be small changes in some place by them, they do it simultaneously.
- Some people who have been continuously contributing to the Wikipedia community for a long time, then Wikipedia also gives them administrator rights. With these rights, they can do many things such as delete and undelete pages, block and unblock IP addresses, etc.
Writers, editors and admins all work together to solve almost all problems because such problems are common in an open platform such as Wikipedia. At the same time, he also writes good and good in-depth articles.
If you want to understand how the community works, you have to see it by adding it to Wikipedia, and else you will understand everything on your own.
What happens if Wikipedia changes the page?
If you want to understand in the right way how the wiki community works, then you must go to Wikipedia and do something for it. So, what happens after doing this.
- You have to go to Wikipedia and find a topic about which you know something.
- Then you have to search for that page and then you will have to read that page in Wikipedia.
- After this, you have to find something that you feel is missing in that article or something you think is written incorrectly.
- Edit necessary on this page, at the same time you make necessary changes by clicking on “Edit this page”.
- Submit your change.
- Then, all you have to do is leave a couple of days and come back and see what happened to that change.
Now if you are wondering how the Wikipedia community will react to your change. So there is no need to worry.
Because this thing takes some time, and if your items are right, they will approve it, if it is not right, then your things will be removed.
On the other hand, if your writing is not well, then it can be rejected. Like this, your change will either be accepted, or it will be altered, or it will be rejected.
Similarly, the pages of Wikipedia always expand and change all the time. Now it may be a question that arises in your mind that some community get to know about your changes. So the answer is that many tools let the community know about the change.
What is Wikipedia’s watch list?
Wikipedia has an even more personal tool called watch list. So let’s now know how it works:
Let’s assume that you have created a new article topic in Wikipedia, and there you have also made some important changes in an article.
Once you have done this, then it can happen that you have some attachment to that article, or have some interest.
In such a situation, you would like to know the reaction of the people and who is also making changes in it.
If you want to know this thing, you have to add that page to your watch list, from this you will get a notification every time there is a change in it.
# Services offered by Wikipedia:
Along with its encyclopedia in Wikipedia, this non-profit Wikipedia foundation takes care of other open-content projects, including:
- Wiktionary, a dictionary and thesaurus
- Wikibooks, a collection of all free texts and other books
- Wikiquote, a collection of quotations
- Wikisource, a collection of all free source documents
- Wikiversity, a collection of all free learning materials
- Wikispecies, a directory of all species
- Meta-Wiki coordinates with all other projects.
How to create an account on Wikipedia?
Now let’s know how to create your account in Wikipedia, for this, you must first click on the “Sign in / create account” link located on the upper right corner in the Wikipedia website.
Then you have to click in the link “Create one” which is above the boxes. Clicking this will take you to the account creation page.
# Type Captcha:
Captcha is now being used in Wikipedia to prevent spamming computer activated programs. Here you have to use the correct captcha code if you do not understand then you can also refresh the image. Then once you fill it, you can go to the next step.
You will have to read all the text which are below the boxes.
Then you have to enter your desired user name in the “Username” box. This will be the name of your account.
- You can only make an anagram of your name, which means you can rearrange those letters. Here you can do this to your real name.
- You can use your social media for this. If you have a social media account, you can also use that username and note that it has not been used before.
- You can also think creatively. As if your interest is in technology, you can choose a suitable username according to the same interest.
- Do not choose a username that promotes other business; it can also block your admin.
- Then enter your password in the “Password:” box. Keep in mind that you remember your password. But it should not be so easy that anyone guesses it.
- Then you have to re-enter the same password, in the “Confirm Password:” box.
- After this, if you want, you can also add your e-mail address in the “E-mail” box.
- After this, you have to click on the “Create account” button.
Then you get ready as an account. Congratulations! Now you have become a registered user in Wikipedia.
Can I also create my own Wikipedia?
The answer is yes, and no. Yes, because it is an information database, so if you want, you can make it from category wise.
But for this, you should have such a big team, and together you should have such a big infrastructure. So it is not so easy for a new man if there are no big investors behind him.
Simultaneously, when there is already such a big website like Wikipedia, is also in many different languages, which is the best thing open source, so it is impossible to compete with it.
At the same time, it is better to think about something that is already than to think about something new. You can get success in this.
So, friends, you must have now understood What is Android Wear OS, and how does it work?.
If this post has been helpful for you and you must have found it, you can share it on social media if you like our article. Do share with friends, and then if you face any problem, please tell us in the comment.
To get every information in simple language English, like our Facebook page where you are provided with the right information, click here to like our Facebook page.
More Related Posts:
- 5 Ways to Make Money from Google
- Where is the computer used?
- Who owns amazon?
- Google AdSense Account Approval Trick 2021
- Best Free Plagiarism Checker Online for English Text (2021)